Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I want my vote to count, but will it?

The High Country News
Writers on the Range
Essay - October 22, 2008 by Laura Paskus

Please check out the latest article by Laura Paskus, "I want my vote to count, but will it?"

"Just the other morning, I mailed off my absentee ballot. I'd carefully colored in all the ovals, signed it, smacked on a stamp and tossed that baby into the mailbox. Civic duty done? Maybe not.

Last month, for example, New Mexico's secretary of State had to admit that incorrect information had been mailed to more than 11,000 voters in five counties. That might not be considered too much of a slipup, until you consider that in the year 2000, in New Mexico, Al Gore beat George Bush by a mere 366 votes. In 2004, Bush defeated John Kerry by some 6,000 votes.

Of course, we all remember Florida and its hanging chads and a 5-to-4 Supreme Court decision to stop the recount. (To those still bemoaning the consequences of Ralph Nader's presence on the Florida ballot: A Washington Post investigation found that Gore would have taken Florida had the recount proceeded.)" More>>>>

Also, Laura has an interesting post at Environmental News for New Mexicans...and other Southwesterners about a story in the San Antonio Current by Greg Harman, "Occult energy futures." She says "read it and weep. (Literally.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment